GLAAD, the watchdog group that monitors how LGBT people are portrayed in media, has denounced the upcoming film Tomboy: A Revenger’s Tale over its use of gender-reassignment surgery in the plot line.
“We haven’t read the script, but it’s disappointing to see filmmakers turning what is a life-saving medical procedure for transgender people into a sensationalistic plot device,” GLAAD’s director of programs for transgender media, Nick Adams, told the Hollywood Reporter.
In the action thriller starring Michelle Rodriguez, a professional assassin undergoes gender-reassignment surgery against his will and is converted into a woman, who goes on to see vengeance on the surgeon who did the procedure.
“We are at a crucial moment in the public’s understanding of transgender issues, and stories like these have the potential to undermine the progress we’ve worked so hard to achieve,” Adams said.
Correction: A previous version of this article misidentified GLAAD’s director of programs for transgender media. His name is Nick Adams.
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023