GLAAD, the watchdog group that monitors how LGBT people are portrayed in media, has denounced the upcoming film Tomboy: A Revenger’s Tale over its use of gender-reassignment surgery in the plot line.
“We haven’t read the script, but it’s disappointing to see filmmakers turning what is a life-saving medical procedure for transgender people into a sensationalistic plot device,” GLAAD’s director of programs for transgender media, Nick Adams, told the Hollywood Reporter.
In the action thriller starring Michelle Rodriguez, a professional assassin undergoes gender-reassignment surgery against his will and is converted into a woman, who goes on to see vengeance on the surgeon who did the procedure.
“We are at a crucial moment in the public’s understanding of transgender issues, and stories like these have the potential to undermine the progress we’ve worked so hard to achieve,” Adams said.
Correction: A previous version of this article misidentified GLAAD’s director of programs for transgender media. His name is Nick Adams.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears