GLAAD, the watchdog group that monitors how LGBT people are portrayed in media, has denounced the upcoming film Tomboy: A Revenger’s Tale over its use of gender-reassignment surgery in the plot line.
“We haven’t read the script, but it’s disappointing to see filmmakers turning what is a life-saving medical procedure for transgender people into a sensationalistic plot device,” GLAAD’s director of programs for transgender media, Nick Adams, told the Hollywood Reporter.
In the action thriller starring Michelle Rodriguez, a professional assassin undergoes gender-reassignment surgery against his will and is converted into a woman, who goes on to see vengeance on the surgeon who did the procedure.
“We are at a crucial moment in the public’s understanding of transgender issues, and stories like these have the potential to undermine the progress we’ve worked so hard to achieve,” Adams said.
Correction: A previous version of this article misidentified GLAAD’s director of programs for transgender media. His name is Nick Adams.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer