GLAAD, the watchdog group that monitors how LGBT people are portrayed in media, has denounced the upcoming film Tomboy: A Revenger’s Tale over its use of gender-reassignment surgery in the plot line.
“We haven’t read the script, but it’s disappointing to see filmmakers turning what is a life-saving medical procedure for transgender people into a sensationalistic plot device,” GLAAD’s director of programs for transgender media, Nick Adams, told the Hollywood Reporter.
In the action thriller starring Michelle Rodriguez, a professional assassin undergoes gender-reassignment surgery against his will and is converted into a woman, who goes on to see vengeance on the surgeon who did the procedure.
“We are at a crucial moment in the public’s understanding of transgender issues, and stories like these have the potential to undermine the progress we’ve worked so hard to achieve,” Adams said.
Correction: A previous version of this article misidentified GLAAD’s director of programs for transgender media. His name is Nick Adams.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve