Hocus Pocus fans have been hoping to resummon the Sanderson sisters for a sequel to the 1993 classic, but according to Bette Midler, there’s a reason why that spell hasn’t been cast yet.
“Breaking news!! SEQUEL DELAYED!!” she tweeted, tagging her costars Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy. “@Disney having trouble finding a virgin!”
But even if they do find a virgin to light a candle, Midler has said the fate of Winifred, Sarah, and Mary Sanderson is ultimately in Disney’s hands. (Rumors that Tina Fey would be penning a follow-up, sadly, were unfounded.)
“Inundate the Disney company. Because I have canvassed the girls and they are willing to do it, but we have no say in it, so if you want a Hocus Pocus 2, ask the Walt Disney company,” she said in a Reddit AMA last year.
In the meantime, fans can still get a new dose of the Sandersons if they go to Disney World this Halloween season — the Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular stage show is running at the park through Nov. 1.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating