“From the streaming site that brought you Beasts of No Nation…”
Months ahead of its December release, The Ridiculous 6, the first movie in Adam Sandler’s production deal with Netflix, has created more controversy than laughs. The Western spoof starring Sandler, Luke Wilson, Taylor Lautner, and more as a band of bank-robbing half-brothers made headlines earlier this year when Native American actors walked off set after complaining of mistreatment and stereotypes in the film.
Sandler told the AP that the issue was all a misunderstanding that would be cleared up once people saw the finished film, and now we’re getting a glimpse at the first trailer from The Ridiculous 6.
The preview — perhaps purposefully — doesn’t include any humor aimed at Native Americans and features Sandler playing it surprisingly straight. Doing the opposite of that is Lautner, whose character may recall a quote from Tropic Thunder.
The Ridiculous 6 will debut on Netflix on Dec. 11.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating