After months of anticipation, experimental synth-pop artist Grimes has finally announced the details of her fourth studio album. Art Angels drops digitally Nov. 6 and physically on Dec. 11. It follows the 27-year-old Canadian’s 2012 album, Visions.
To accompany the official Art Angels announcement, Grimes — whose given name is Claire Boucher — released a two-part video combining new songs “Flesh without Blood” and “Life in the Vivid Dream.” The clip, which Boucher wrote, directed, and edited herself, collects surreal scenes and dance numbers.
Recorded mostly in Grimes’ Los Angeles home, Art Angels consists of 14 tracks and includes collaborations with Janelle Monaé and Taiwanese rapper Aristophanes, according to a press release. “It’s the first record that I’ve made that I can listen to with other people and not cringe and feel horrified,” Boucher said when she spoke to EW in August. “I think that’s a good sign.”
While Art Angels comes out in less than two weeks, that’s actually a longer lead time than Boucher had originally planned. “I think I want to [announce] it right before and be like, ‘This is the title and my album is coming out in three days,’” she told EW. “I wish it was the whole record, but one song is also good,” Boucher told SiriusXMU’s Jenny Eliscu Monday. “[Flesh without Blood] is kind of like my emo song or something. It might be actually one of the most personal songs on the record.”
The artist is on a North American tour through the end of November.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating