A statue memorializing Soviet leader Vladimir Lenin in the Ukraine has been transformed into a monument to Darth Vader.
The new statue, first reported by the news site Dumskaya, was unveiled Friday in the city of Odessa. It comes in the wake of a law requiring “decommunization” in Ukraine. Instead of destroying the statue it its entirety, artist Aleksander Milov was selected to modify it. Much of the statue remained the same as Milov replaced Lenin’s head with a helmet and turned his coast into a cape. The statue is also now a wi-fi hotspot.
The new statue comes as Star Wars fans prepare for the first new film in the franchise in a decade. Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters this December.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science