These days, you might mistake Hillary Clinton for a filmmaker raising funds for her first big movie. The 2016 hopeful has plenty of friends in Hollywood, and it turns out that 9 out of 10 dollars donated by those in the film industry to political campaigns are going to Clinton.
According to a report by the L.A. Times, Hollywood donors have contributed $5.5 million to campaigns so far, $5 million of which has gone to Clinton as of Sept. 30. Her biggest showbiz donors making large contributions to her Super PAC include Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Haim Saban in the $1 million range and J.J. Abrams in the $500,000 range. Individual donors on a much smaller scale include everyone from Ben Affleck to Barbra Streisand.
Jeb Bush comes in second with about $165,000 from Hollywood, and Bernie Sanders rounds out the top three with $134,000—indies compared to Clinton’s blockbuster fundraising efforts in Hollywood.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was