These days, you might mistake Hillary Clinton for a filmmaker raising funds for her first big movie. The 2016 hopeful has plenty of friends in Hollywood, and it turns out that 9 out of 10 dollars donated by those in the film industry to political campaigns are going to Clinton.
According to a report by the L.A. Times, Hollywood donors have contributed $5.5 million to campaigns so far, $5 million of which has gone to Clinton as of Sept. 30. Her biggest showbiz donors making large contributions to her Super PAC include Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Haim Saban in the $1 million range and J.J. Abrams in the $500,000 range. Individual donors on a much smaller scale include everyone from Ben Affleck to Barbra Streisand.
Jeb Bush comes in second with about $165,000 from Hollywood, and Bernie Sanders rounds out the top three with $134,000—indies compared to Clinton’s blockbuster fundraising efforts in Hollywood.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate