Apparently some of those funny tweets from Donald Trump were actually coming from an intern.
Shortly after the release of a poll Thursday, which showed Ben Carson edging out Trump among Republican voters in Iowa, the real estate mogul’s account retweeted a supporter who not only insulted their intelligence, but called into question the one thing Iowans don’t play about—their corn.
The tweet implied that brain issues created by genetically modified corn had caused Iowans to give Carson an 8 point lead over the billionaire. The tweet, now deleted, sent the state into a storm, according to The Des Moines Register.
Trump later explained that a “young intern” was to blame for the retweet. However, the New York Times reported that Trump does tweet some of his own material.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color