The problem with trying to conceal anxiety — in any situation — is that we’ve evolved to do exactly the opposite.
According to Joe Navarro, a former FBI agent and the author of What Every BODY is saying, we’re hardwired to display anxiety and to recognize it in others as well. Back in our caveman days, this was a means of quickly recognizing danger.
Here are some of the most common universal, nonverbal expressions of nervousness that are pretty hard to control.
More from Business Insider:
- 7 rules for making a great first impression
- Body language mistakes successful people never make
- 6 body language secrets of powerful people
- 6 experts on what you should know about body language at work
- 10 proven tactics for reading people’s body language
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time