Larry David grabbed the late-night spotlight playing Bernie Sanders during a spoof of the first Democratic debate on Saturday Night Live this week.
The comedian, who resembles Sanders in both accent and behavior, combined his own trademark humor with outrage over the place of the middle class. “I don’t have a super PAC. I don’t even have a backpack,” said David “I own one pair of underwear. That’s it. Some of these billionaires have three, four pairs.”
David’s performance also included some of his trademark observational humor, which the comedian famously included on Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm. “You know what I don’t understand America? These podiums,” said Sanders. “What are you supposed to do with your elbows?”
Alec Baldwin also appeared on SNL as presidential candidate Jim Webb. But much like Webb himself, who complained that the debate was a back and forth between Sanders and Hillary Clinton, Baldwin didn’t get much screen time.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating