Larry David grabbed the late-night spotlight playing Bernie Sanders during a spoof of the first Democratic debate on Saturday Night Live this week.
The comedian, who resembles Sanders in both accent and behavior, combined his own trademark humor with outrage over the place of the middle class. “I don’t have a super PAC. I don’t even have a backpack,” said David “I own one pair of underwear. That’s it. Some of these billionaires have three, four pairs.”
David’s performance also included some of his trademark observational humor, which the comedian famously included on Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm. “You know what I don’t understand America? These podiums,” said Sanders. “What are you supposed to do with your elbows?”
Alec Baldwin also appeared on SNL as presidential candidate Jim Webb. But much like Webb himself, who complained that the debate was a back and forth between Sanders and Hillary Clinton, Baldwin didn’t get much screen time.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science