Larry David grabbed the late-night spotlight playing Bernie Sanders during a spoof of the first Democratic debate on Saturday Night Live this week.
The comedian, who resembles Sanders in both accent and behavior, combined his own trademark humor with outrage over the place of the middle class. “I don’t have a super PAC. I don’t even have a backpack,” said David “I own one pair of underwear. That’s it. Some of these billionaires have three, four pairs.”
David’s performance also included some of his trademark observational humor, which the comedian famously included on Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm. “You know what I don’t understand America? These podiums,” said Sanders. “What are you supposed to do with your elbows?”
Alec Baldwin also appeared on SNL as presidential candidate Jim Webb. But much like Webb himself, who complained that the debate was a back and forth between Sanders and Hillary Clinton, Baldwin didn’t get much screen time.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time