Larry David grabbed the late-night spotlight playing Bernie Sanders during a spoof of the first Democratic debate on Saturday Night Live this week.
The comedian, who resembles Sanders in both accent and behavior, combined his own trademark humor with outrage over the place of the middle class. “I don’t have a super PAC. I don’t even have a backpack,” said David “I own one pair of underwear. That’s it. Some of these billionaires have three, four pairs.”
David’s performance also included some of his trademark observational humor, which the comedian famously included on Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm. “You know what I don’t understand America? These podiums,” said Sanders. “What are you supposed to do with your elbows?”
Alec Baldwin also appeared on SNL as presidential candidate Jim Webb. But much like Webb himself, who complained that the debate was a back and forth between Sanders and Hillary Clinton, Baldwin didn’t get much screen time.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow