An 11-year-old Connecticut girl has helped catch the man who burglarized her home by drawing a stick figure picture of him for the police.
Rebecca DePietro, who was honored for her service in a ceremony on Thursday night, said police officers had asked her if she saw anyone suspicious in the neighborhood several months ago, NBC Connecticut reports. She said she had, and made a drawing of the man in two minutes. She didn’t think the cops would take it very seriously, but they say it helped them confirm the identity of the suspect, who has since confessed to 10 burglaries, including the one at DePietro’s home.
DePietro remains humble through it all: “I have to give a lot of credit to my art teacher,” she said.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk