Tens of thousands of displaced migrants from Africa and the Middle East have made their way to Europe in recent months, undertaking journeys full of hardships over the Mediterranean Sea and even across European land borders.
Until a few days ago, those hardships didn’t include a fully-grown polar bear.
A video released Thursday by the Yorkshire Wildlife Park in the U.K. shows a group of migrants in Calais, France, rushing to the back of a truck bound for England stuck in traffic on the highway, only to find Nissan the polar bear — en route to the park from Russia’s Moscow Zoo — in a cage inside, CNN reported.
While some of the migrants fled on seeing Nissan (perhaps preferring to wait for a truck that didn’t contain a furry mauling machine), three men were brave enough to squeeze in beside him — only to be stopped and ejected by French police a few miles later.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out