Winter is coming, but for drought-stricken California that does not necessarily mean that water—and an easing of water-use restrictions—will come with it.
To remind its residents that winter does not mean an end to the drought, the City of West Hollywood has crafted a memorable public service announcement with a Game of Thrones-themed reminder to conserve.
The new PSA is straight out of Westeros. According to the map featured in the credits, West Hollywood appears to be located somewhere near the Lannisters’ stronghold of Casterly Rock. The video comes packed with the Mother of Dragons, a Jon Snow-lookalike, explosive special effects, the haunting GoT theme music, and, of course, a powerful message to continue to conserve water as the state faces one of the most serious droughts in recent history.
The video was created in partnership with Change the Course, a first-of-its-kind water sustainability campaign from partners Participant Media, National Geographic Society, and the Bonneville Environmental Foundation. The campaign is meant to remind people that their daily choices can affect the state’s overall water footprint. Luckily, watching Game of Thrones fits in with the state’s mandatory water restrictions, because it doesn’t require any water at all.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science