Twins Jonas and Nicole Maines were born as identical twin boys. But when Nicole—born as Wyatt—was 2 years old, she knew that though she was born with the male gender, she was truly a female.
“Whenever we were playing dress up she always wanted to be the girl,” Jonas remembers in an interview with PEOPLE. “She always played with the dolls.” Jonas always went along with it. “I never questioned it,” he said.
Pulitzer-Prize winner Amy Ellis Nutt’s chronicles Jonas and Nicole’s story in her latest book Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of a an American Family, out October 20.
Read more at People.com
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time