Twins Jonas and Nicole Maines were born as identical twin boys. But when Nicole—born as Wyatt—was 2 years old, she knew that though she was born with the male gender, she was truly a female.
“Whenever we were playing dress up she always wanted to be the girl,” Jonas remembers in an interview with PEOPLE. “She always played with the dolls.” Jonas always went along with it. “I never questioned it,” he said.
Pulitzer-Prize winner Amy Ellis Nutt’s chronicles Jonas and Nicole’s story in her latest book Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of a an American Family, out October 20.
Read more at People.com
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve