An Australian fast-food chicken franchise called Chicken Treat says it has solicited a hen named Betty to run its Twitter account by placing a computer in her coop. For the last week, the company’s tweets have been mostly nonsensical strings of characters typed by Betty as she pecks at or walks over the keyboard.
It is, not surprisingly, a marketing stunt. The company will continue this exercise until Betty successfully tweets a five-letter word in English, which will apparently earn her a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. She seems to be making progress — on Thursday, she typed “bum.” Dark irony undercuts the humor here, of course. Betty is unwittingly working to promote a firm that exists only to execute and barbecue her brethren for human consumption.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve