An Australian fast-food chicken franchise called Chicken Treat says it has solicited a hen named Betty to run its Twitter account by placing a computer in her coop. For the last week, the company’s tweets have been mostly nonsensical strings of characters typed by Betty as she pecks at or walks over the keyboard.
It is, not surprisingly, a marketing stunt. The company will continue this exercise until Betty successfully tweets a five-letter word in English, which will apparently earn her a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. She seems to be making progress — on Thursday, she typed “bum.” Dark irony undercuts the humor here, of course. Betty is unwittingly working to promote a firm that exists only to execute and barbecue her brethren for human consumption.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now