An Australian fast-food chicken franchise called Chicken Treat says it has solicited a hen named Betty to run its Twitter account by placing a computer in her coop. For the last week, the company’s tweets have been mostly nonsensical strings of characters typed by Betty as she pecks at or walks over the keyboard.
It is, not surprisingly, a marketing stunt. The company will continue this exercise until Betty successfully tweets a five-letter word in English, which will apparently earn her a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. She seems to be making progress — on Thursday, she typed “bum.” Dark irony undercuts the humor here, of course. Betty is unwittingly working to promote a firm that exists only to execute and barbecue her brethren for human consumption.
- Why House Democrats Refused to Save McCarthy
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Self-Silencing Is Making Women Sick: Essay
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time