Legendary and Warner Bros. Pictures—the studios behind 2014’s smash hit Godzilla—will reunite for a giant monster franchise that will culminate in a dream smackdown between Godzilla and King Kong.
Superfans might note that the news isn’t exactly new: Godzilla was released with an agreement for its sequel, Godzilla 2, on June 8, 2018. The dual franchise’s combination sparked hopes for a meetup between Godzilla and King Kong, which was announced Wednesday for a film that will be called Godzilla vs. Kong, coming to theaters in 2020.
“Audiences really responded to Godzilla,” Legendary CEO Thomas Tull said in a press release. “As a lifelong fan of these characters, I’ve always wanted to see the ultimate showdown, and today we’re pleased to be announcing that and more.”
Other monsters joining the mayhem include King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan.
The first film in a planned trilogy will be Kong: Skull Island, starring Tom Hiddleston, Sam Jackson, Brie Larson, and John Goodman and will be released in March 2017. Godzilla 2 will be next, followed by Godzilla vs. Kong in 2020.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer