- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow
1. Ratatouille and Goat Cheese Sandwich
In this handheld riff on the French classic, a crunchy baguette is filled with creamy goat cheese and a pile of veggies that have been cooked until succulent and seasoned with a hint of smoky paprika.
2. Pan Bagnat
This simple sandwich, whose name translates to “bathed bread,” is a picnic classic for good reason: unlike traditional sandwich spreads (i.e. mayo), which don’t pack well, the vinaigrette dressing gently moistens the crunchy bread and deepens in flavor during travel.
3. Bacon, Arugula and Tomato Jam Sandwich
Substituting a thick slathering of sweet and savory tomato jam for fresh tomatoes gives this lunchtime classic a tasty reboot—and also ensures that it’s equally delicious all year round, whether tomatoes are in season or not.
4. Ploughman's Sandwich
Chock full of savory onion jam, spicy mustard, crunchy apple, and creamy cheddar, this rustic sandwich translates the flavors of the iconic pub lunch into handheld form. Wash it down with iced tea—or, even better, a pint of ale.
5. Curried Chickpea, Apple and Herb Sandwich
Tangy yogurt and fragrant curry powder mingle to make a cool and creamy dressing for tender chickpeas in this flavorful vegetarian sandwich. Adding diced apples lends the combo the perfect amount of sweetness and crunch, while a flurry of fresh herbs finishes it off.
6. Antipasti Sandwich
Who said antipasti isn’t portable? This sandwich combines all the elements of a classic platter—cured meats, silky vegetables, salty cheese—in one compact package. And with flavors this big, a simple drizzle of olive oil and tart balsamic is the only dressing required.
7. Fresh Mozzarella, Beet and Basil Sandwich
This colorful twist on a classic caprese swaps in sweet beets for slices of tomato. The result? A sweet, earthy sandwich that shows off the creaminess of fresh mozzarella and the bright, herbal tang of basil.
8. Hummus, Feta, Cucumber and Mint Sandwich
Think vegetarian sandwiches are flavorless? Think again. Here, salty feta, crunchy cucumber, and cool mint liven up thick multigrain slices smeared with smooth hummus. Bright, creamy, and peppery, it’s a combo that proves healthy doesn’t have to mean ho-hum.
More from Real Simple: