Think there were some cool Halloween-themed snacks at your party last year? We bet they weren’t quite as impressive as this brain cake. Baker, cake designer and zombie enthusiast Yolanda Gampp, who runs the YouTube channel How to Cake It, originally designed her hyper-realistic brain cake for the recent premiere of The Walking Dead. But it will work just as well for grossing out your guests on Halloween.
In her video, she gives a recipe and step-by-step instructions on how to make your own oozing, red velvet masterpiece. The trick is to start by baking the cake in a bowl instead of a pan—it will save you some carving time later. Assembling the cake is a complicated process (like most cake art, it requires some involved fondant work), but hey, you’ve got plenty of time between now and October 31 to practice. And if it doesn’t work, you can always just mash it up and say it’s supposed to look like a brain after the zombies got ahold of it.
More from FWx:
- Cakeageddon Presents Horrifying Cakes for Halloween
- 7 Wines to Pair with Your Favorite Halloween Candy
- 4 Easy Halloween Party Foods
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out