Think there were some cool Halloween-themed snacks at your party last year? We bet they weren’t quite as impressive as this brain cake. Baker, cake designer and zombie enthusiast Yolanda Gampp, who runs the YouTube channel How to Cake It, originally designed her hyper-realistic brain cake for the recent premiere of The Walking Dead. But it will work just as well for grossing out your guests on Halloween.
In her video, she gives a recipe and step-by-step instructions on how to make your own oozing, red velvet masterpiece. The trick is to start by baking the cake in a bowl instead of a pan—it will save you some carving time later. Assembling the cake is a complicated process (like most cake art, it requires some involved fondant work), but hey, you’ve got plenty of time between now and October 31 to practice. And if it doesn’t work, you can always just mash it up and say it’s supposed to look like a brain after the zombies got ahold of it.
More from FWx:
- Cakeageddon Presents Horrifying Cakes for Halloween
- 7 Wines to Pair with Your Favorite Halloween Candy
- 4 Easy Halloween Party Foods
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time