A 23-year-old Florida woman broadcast her own drunk driving incident on Periscope, the live-streaming platform owned by Twitter, prompting users to call 911 about her behavior.
In the recording, Whitney Beall stated several times that she was “drunk” and speculated that she might have a flat tire, according to local CBS affiliate WTSP. Viewers could see that she was apparently very impaired, but could not discern her location to share with police officers.
The Lakeland police department eventually found Beall on the road after spotting landmarks in the background of her live stream, and saw that she was indeed driving with one flat tire when they located her car. When the officers pulled her over, she hit a curb without braking. She declined to take a breathalyzer test, and failed the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests, resulting in an arrest and DUI charge, police said.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve