Law & Order: SVU is well known for its storylines based on thinly veiled dramatizations of actual events. An upcoming episode description from season 17 of the courtroom drama suggests that it will reference the ongoing Duggar family case.
The episode called “Patrimonial Burden” features the SVU team investigating “an unraveling web of secrets when the virtuous 13 year-old daughter of a famous reality TV family discovers she’s pregnant,” according to NBC.
This controversial narrative comes on the heels of reports that the oldest Duggar son, Josh, had an account on hacked extramarital affairs website Ashley Madison. In May, TLC cancelled 19 Kids and Counting, the Duggars’ show, after it was revealed that Josh had allegedly molested five girls, including some of his sisters.
“With the Duggar one, it was like the double-whammy because it was his sisters and the fact—I mean, honestly, I feel like we’re dealing with some topics this season that feel a bit meatier than some lunatic fringe family…I wouldn’t mind doing one just because I have never been so infuriated with someone’s level of hypocrisy, and lying, and then displacement of responsibility onto something else,” Peter Scanavino, Detective Carisi on the show, told E! Online. “When I think about that guy [Josh Duggar], it boils my blood, I will say.”
The episode airs Nov. 4 at 9 p.m.
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.