When you’re an actor who plays an iconic comic book character, going to Comic Con without being swarmed by fans is out of the question. Unless, of course, you wear an elaborate mask to conceal your true identity.
Jared Leto, who appears as the Joker in the upcoming Suicide Squad film, walked the floor of the New York event this weekend dressed in disguise. Leto chose to go as a mandrill, a type of baboon similar to Rafiki from The Lion King. He took pictures with cosplayers dressed as DC Comics’ Joker and Harley Quinn that he posted on social media. “[T]hey had no idea,” Leto wrote.
Meanwhile, Mark Ruffalo showed up to NYCC for a day of incognito fun with his son, according to The Huffington Post. The Marvel hero wore an unnerving Luigi mask to be able to enjoy the event in peace.
Turns out heroes and villains really do walk among us.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time