Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R—Utah) thinks Paul Ryan (R—Wisc.) would make a “wonderful” House speaker.
“I think he checks every box,” Chaffetz told ABC’s This Week. “He’s got the great experience. He’s a visionary. He understands the institution. He’s a great spokesperson.”
Despite effusive praise from other Republicans, including former top Speaker candidate Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R.—Calif.), Ryan has said that he is not interested in running for the position. Being Speaker requires becoming a face for the party with extensive travel and fundraising, and Ryan has cited his young children as a dissuading factor.
Chaffetz, who has emerged as a prime contender for the House speaker seat vacated by Rep. John Boehner (D.-Ohio), said that the former vice presidential candidate’s youth and family is exactly what makes him a great Speaker candidate.
“One of the things that I think people love is that he puts his family first,” Chaffetz said. “He’s got young kids. He’ll have to make that decision. But I think he would be a wonderful speaker, just like I thought he would be a great vice president or president.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tanya Basu at firstname.lastname@example.org