Comedian Amy Schumer kicked off hosting duties on Saturday Night Live with a spoof on guns in American life.
The skit features several seemingly normal everyday events — going for a jog, having a baby, being on a date — illustrating the human desire to seek love, connection, a sense of purpose and — as a narrator punctuates, “guns.”
In a searing reminder of the jarring everyday prevalence of guns, the skit goes on to put a firearm in shockingly uncomfortable situations, drawing nervous giggles: in a newborn baby’s hand, substituting for the bottle in the party game Spin the Bottle, at an office.
“They unite us, comfort us, bring us strength,” the voice says as Schumer’s character is seen cuddling her boyfriend, gun in hand. “Guns. We’re here to stay.”
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time