President Barack Obama gave Kanye West some political advice at a fundraiser in San Francisco on Saturday morning, poking light fun at the hip-hop artist’s announcement that he is considering running for president in 2020.
West headlined as a performer at the Democratic National Committee event, which drew about 1,300 people who paid between $250-$10,000 a person to attend, and included an appearance by the Golden State Warriors and their NBA championship trophy, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Obama called West, who has announced plans to run for President in 2020 during the MTV Video Music Awards: “In a little while you are going to hear from a guy who is thinking about getting into politics,” Obama said. “You may have heard that Kanye is thinking about running [for] speaker of the house. It couldn’t get any stranger. In case Kanye is serious about this whole POTUS thing, or as Kanye calls it, ‘peezy.'”
Then, the word of advice: “You got to deal with strange characters who behave as if they are on a reality TV show,” a reference to Kanye’s wife, reality star Kim Kardashian.
Obama continued, “Saying you have a beautiful dark twisted fantasy, that’s what’s known as off message in politics.” He then joked to the audience, “Do you really think this country is going to elect a black guy form the south side of Chicago with a funny name to be president of the US?”
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy