Box office smash The Martian has definitely made an impact. The new thriller not only raked in $55 million in its opening weekend, it also apparently prompted some to start questioning everything they know about space. As BuzzFeed has pointed out, several tweets suggest that some moviegoers think the film, in which Matt Damon plays an astronaut stranded on Mars, is based on a true story.
But a lot of people do tweet jokes and sarcastic remarks, so it is possible, and likely, that these users are just kidding around. For example:
That said, some parts of the movie do offer pretty accurate depictions of the red planet’s landscape, as TIME pointed out here.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms