Box office smash The Martian has definitely made an impact. The new thriller not only raked in $55 million in its opening weekend, it also apparently prompted some to start questioning everything they know about space. As BuzzFeed has pointed out, several tweets suggest that some moviegoers think the film, in which Matt Damon plays an astronaut stranded on Mars, is based on a true story.
But a lot of people do tweet jokes and sarcastic remarks, so it is possible, and likely, that these users are just kidding around. For example:
That said, some parts of the movie do offer pretty accurate depictions of the red planet’s landscape, as TIME pointed out here.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time