While it’s pricier than rubbing alcohol, this bar staple has the same antiseptic properties, making it a clever replacement in a pinch. Read on for spirited ways to put it to use.
Erase Window Streaks
As an alternative to using chemical cleansers, spray glass panes with diluted vodka, then wipe them down with a lint-free cloth.
Put an end to soap scum and hard-water spots by soaking a soft cloth in vodka and wiping it over shiny fixtures.
Spritz undiluted vodka on clothes to help remove musty smells, then hang-dry them in a well-ventilated area.
Remove Rust from Screws
Leave a weathered screw in vodka for just a few hours, then wipe to get rid of rust.
Preserve Cut Flowers
Save your bouquet by mixing a few drops of vodka with a teaspoon of sugar to inhibit the production of ethylene, which makes flowers wilt.
Remove Stains from Upholstery
Dip a clean cloth in vodka and rub it on fabric to help take out stubborn stains caused by ink, grass, and some foods.
Mix 1 ounce of vodka, a few drops of liquid dish soap, and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Apply on a sunny day to broadleaf weeds that grow in direct sunlight; the vodka will help remove the leaves’ waxy coating, causing them to dry out.
Clean Mold and Mildew
Rid tile and caulk of dark spots by spraying them with vodka. Let sit for up to 30 minutes, scrub with a grout brush or old toothbrush, and rinse thoroughly.
Soothe Aching Muscles
Treat sore muscles with a pack made by pouring equal parts of vodka and water into a resealable bag and freezing it to create a super-cold slushy mix. Whether you treat yourself to a cocktail afterward is up to you!
Boots smelling ripe? Spritz the insides with diluted vodka; let dry. No more odor.
More from This Old House:
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart