On The Late Show With Stephen Colbert Monday night, American Ballet Theatre’s first black principal ballerina Misty Copeland performed the courante from Johann Sebastian Bach’s Cello Suite No. 2 with legendary cellist Yo-Yo Ma.
The classical musician is turning 60 Wednesday, while the dancer has been promoting a documentary about her life, A Ballerina’s Tale, which comes out Oct. 14.
Yo-Yo Ma also performed “The Swan” by Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns and George Gershwin’s “Prelude No. 1” with Colbert’s band, Jon Batiste and Stay Human, in two web exclusive videos:
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was