On The Late Show With Stephen Colbert Monday night, American Ballet Theatre’s first black principal ballerina Misty Copeland performed the courante from Johann Sebastian Bach’s Cello Suite No. 2 with legendary cellist Yo-Yo Ma.
The classical musician is turning 60 Wednesday, while the dancer has been promoting a documentary about her life, A Ballerina’s Tale, which comes out Oct. 14.
Yo-Yo Ma also performed “The Swan” by Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns and George Gershwin’s “Prelude No. 1” with Colbert’s band, Jon Batiste and Stay Human, in two web exclusive videos:
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State