On The Late Show With Stephen Colbert Monday night, American Ballet Theatre’s first black principal ballerina Misty Copeland performed the courante from Johann Sebastian Bach’s Cello Suite No. 2 with legendary cellist Yo-Yo Ma.
The classical musician is turning 60 Wednesday, while the dancer has been promoting a documentary about her life, A Ballerina’s Tale, which comes out Oct. 14.
Yo-Yo Ma also performed “The Swan” by Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns and George Gershwin’s “Prelude No. 1” with Colbert’s band, Jon Batiste and Stay Human, in two web exclusive videos:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement