Since Instagram launched five years ago Tuesday, more than 40 billion photos have been shared, and the community has amassed more than 400 million users. Currently, the social network averages more than 80 million image uploads and 3.5 billion “likes” per day, according to its website.
In honor of the app’s birthday, here are the five most-liked Instagrams ever. Despite all of the cute dogs and latte art on the photo-sharing platform, the data proves (yet again) that “America’s First Family” dominates social media.
1. May 25, 2015: Keeping Up With the Kardashians star and model Kendall Jenner’s elaborate heart-shaped hairdo.
3. July 3, 2015: Taylor Swift vacationing with her boyfriend, the DJ Calvin Harris.
4. May 27, 2014: Kim Kardashian marrying Kanye West.
5. July 23, 2015: Another Kardashian family member, Kylie Jenner, graduating from high school in Ojai, Calif.
Plus, here are the most-liked images of each year since the social network launched.
2010: The first Instagram — taken July 16 by founder Kevin Systrom — shows a golden retriever at a taco stand called Tacos Chilakos and a foot (his girlfriend’s).
2011: Near the end of the year (Dec. 29 to be exact), Canadian pop star Justin Bieber earned the title with this family photo of his dad, Jeremy, and toddler siblings Jaxon and Jazmyn.
2012: A day after Halloween, One Direction stars Louis Tomlinson and Zayn Malik spooked fans.
2013: The Biebs and Will Smith look like they’re having a ball on Aug. 13.
2014: The world couldn’t get enough of Kimye’s nuptials.
2015: The model exemplified #hairgoals.
- Watch the CEO of Instagram Describe the App’s First Photo Ever
- This is What the Future of Instagram Looks Like
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time