Since Drake released “Hotline Bling” in July, there have been several covers of the single, including a recent rendition by Sam Smith and Disclosure. On Thursday, we were treated to a half-cover, half-remix of the summer hit by the one and only Erykah Badu.
Badu dropped the track, which was co-written by her and Andre 3000’s son, Seven Benjamin, to hype her upcoming mixtape, BUT U CAINT USE MY PHONE. This info was all included in the description section of the Soundcloud post.
While Drake and Badu have never recorded anything together, Drizzy’s song “Days in the East” mentions that they once had tea.
“Remember one night I went to Erykah Badu house/ She made tea for me/ We talked about love and what life could really be for me,” Drake sings. “She said, when that sh– is real, you just know.”
We can only hope that this is a prelude to an actual collaboration between the two.
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases