Authorities have determined that a fire at a Planned Parenthood facility in California was a work of arson.
Ventura County sheriff’s Capt. John Reilly says someone used a rock to shatter a window at the Thousand Oaks facility Wednesday night, then doused the office in gasoline and lit it on fire, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Firefighters arrived on the scene late Wednesday night and found the broken window. The building’s sprinkler system had taken care of the fire, and no one was inside the facility at the time.
The attack comes amidst a heated national discussion over Planned Parenthood following the release of undercover videos over the summer showing Planned Parenthood staff discussing the sale of fetal tissue. Planned Parenthood denies the videos show any wrongdoing.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now