Authorities have determined that a fire at a Planned Parenthood facility in California was a work of arson.
Ventura County sheriff’s Capt. John Reilly says someone used a rock to shatter a window at the Thousand Oaks facility Wednesday night, then doused the office in gasoline and lit it on fire, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Firefighters arrived on the scene late Wednesday night and found the broken window. The building’s sprinkler system had taken care of the fire, and no one was inside the facility at the time.
The attack comes amidst a heated national discussion over Planned Parenthood following the release of undercover videos over the summer showing Planned Parenthood staff discussing the sale of fetal tissue. Planned Parenthood denies the videos show any wrongdoing.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com