If you count yourself in the “more Minecraft-anything equals choirs of angels belting hosannas” column, go ahead and sing along, because Telltale Games’ Minecraft: Story Mode arrives on October 13 for mobile devices, last and current-gen consoles and PCs. That’s the just-released launch trailer for the first episode, “The Order of the Stone,” above.
How did Telltale, renowned for resuscitating the click-your-own-adventure genre, manage to transmogrify a blocky sandbox game about building stuff into an experience nearer on gaming’s evolutionary scale to “If you want to fight the foozle, turn to page X”?
We’ll see, but you play as a character named Jesse (girl or boy), gallivanting through Minecraft‘s Overworld as well as mainstays like the Nether and End, trying “to save your world from oblivion” by finding an organization known as The Order of the Stone.
The season includes voice work by Patton Oswalt and Catherine Taber (the male and female versions of Jesse), Brian Posehn, Ashley Johnson, Scott Porter, Martha Plimpton, Billy West, Paul Reubens, Dave Fennoy, Corey Feldman, Grey Griffin and John Hodgman. In other words, whoever bankrolled the voice talent for this thing went all out.
Before you shrug, in the unlikely event you’re actually shrugging, remember this is Telltale we’re talking about, then ask yourself this: Did anyone really expect The Lego Movie to be any good?
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization