If you count yourself in the “more Minecraft-anything equals choirs of angels belting hosannas” column, go ahead and sing along, because Telltale Games’ Minecraft: Story Mode arrives on October 13 for mobile devices, last and current-gen consoles and PCs. That’s the just-released launch trailer for the first episode, “The Order of the Stone,” above.
How did Telltale, renowned for resuscitating the click-your-own-adventure genre, manage to transmogrify a blocky sandbox game about building stuff into an experience nearer on gaming’s evolutionary scale to “If you want to fight the foozle, turn to page X”?
We’ll see, but you play as a character named Jesse (girl or boy), gallivanting through Minecraft‘s Overworld as well as mainstays like the Nether and End, trying “to save your world from oblivion” by finding an organization known as The Order of the Stone.
The season includes voice work by Patton Oswalt and Catherine Taber (the male and female versions of Jesse), Brian Posehn, Ashley Johnson, Scott Porter, Martha Plimpton, Billy West, Paul Reubens, Dave Fennoy, Corey Feldman, Grey Griffin and John Hodgman. In other words, whoever bankrolled the voice talent for this thing went all out.
Before you shrug, in the unlikely event you’re actually shrugging, remember this is Telltale we’re talking about, then ask yourself this: Did anyone really expect The Lego Movie to be any good?
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time