A South Carolina police officer was shot and killed Wednesday after responding to a call about a suspicious person inside a shopping mall, authorities said.
The officer, Gregory Alia, was called to the Richland Mall in Forest Acres with two other local officers around 8 a.m. after an employee of a nearby bank reported seeing a suspicious person inside a van in the mall’s parking lot, Forest Acres Police Chief Gene Sealy said.
The suspect, 34-year-old Jarvis Hall, took off on foot into the mall, and the officers chased him, Sealy said.
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive