A South Carolina police officer was shot and killed Wednesday after responding to a call about a suspicious person inside a shopping mall, authorities said.
The officer, Gregory Alia, was called to the Richland Mall in Forest Acres with two other local officers around 8 a.m. after an employee of a nearby bank reported seeing a suspicious person inside a van in the mall’s parking lot, Forest Acres Police Chief Gene Sealy said.
The suspect, 34-year-old Jarvis Hall, took off on foot into the mall, and the officers chased him, Sealy said.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org