The opening scenes of the new trailer for The Revenant are reminiscent of The Last of the Mohicans, with a band of white animal trappers barely fending off a Native American war party. But from there on in, Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s star-studded period epic is pure old-school Eastwood Western. Leonardo DiCaprio is Hugh Glass, the leader of the frontiersman whose struggle against a growing mutiny is complicated when he’s mauled by a grizzly bear — a scene depicted in awesome detail.
His injuries allow John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy) to take over, and that includes murdering’s Glass’s “half-breed son” right in front of him and abandoning Glass in a shallow grave to die. “We did what we had to do,” Hardy lies to his boss (Domhnall Gleeson) back in civilization. “He was buried right.”
Au contraire. Glass is coming for revenge, for vengeance. As he says, “I ain’t afraid of dying anymore. I done it already.”
The Revenant, which is already legendary for its difficult and contentious cold-weather production, opens in theaters on Dec. 25.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer