More than two-thirds of Americans—69%—oppose shutting down the federal government as part of the dispute over funding for Planning Parenthood, according to a new poll, including a slight majority of Republicans.
Just 23% of Americans support shutting down the government over Planned Parenthood funding, according to the Quinnipiac University poll released Monday, while 56% of Republicans oppose shutting down the government and 36% of Republicans would support the measure.
A fracas erupted between conservative activists and the women’s health organization after undercover videos were released that claimed to show Planned Parenthood representatives selling fetal tissue for profit. Planned Parenthood officials says what happened in the videos was merely a discussion of covering costs, and the videos do not prove wrongdoing. But federal funding for Planned Parenthood has become the centerpiece of a congressional dispute over the new budget. House Speaker John Boenher’s coming resignation at the end of October reduces the odds of a government shutdown, as he will likely be able to pass a “clean” bill to fund the government with the help of Democrats.
A small majority of voters, 52%, oppose cutting off federal funding to Planned Parenthood, according to the poll, while 41% support cutting off funding. Republicans support cutting off funding 71% to 25%. More men support cutting off funding by a margin of 49-44, than women, who oppose cutting it off by a margin of 60-34.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve