It started with an Instagram post. First Lady Michelle Obama teased a photo of the decor for Friday night’s China State Dinner, that offered a glimpse at the glamour to come.
Needless to say, the First Lady looked stunning in the custom black Vera Wang mermaid gown she donned for the dinner, during which Hollywood bigwigs hobnobbed with Silicon Valley masterminds and international officials, and the Internet pretty much freaked out about it.
Renowned fashion designer Vera Wang tweeted it was “such a privilege” as an American of Chinese heritage to design the First Lady’s gown.
From Twitter to the First Lady’s own Instagram comments, to the President himself, few could help but note Mrs. Obama’s posh and glamorous look.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve