Netflix shows are now available to stream on Oculus-made Samsung Gear VR, according to a post on Oculus blog.
Netflix customers can now download the Netflix app on their virtual reality headset and stream all Netflix shows in standard two dimensions, though CNNMoney speculates that 3D programming could soon be on the way.
John Carmack, CTO of Oculus, wrote about designing the TV interface for Oculus headsets on the Netflix Tech Blog:
“A year ago, I had a short list of the top things that I felt Gear VR needed to be successful. One of them was Netflix,” wrote Carmack. According to Oculus, other content providers such as Vimeo, Tivo, and Hulu are working on bringing apps and content to Oculus headsets.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now