In partnership with Oculus, Samsung announced a $99 virtual reality headset Thursday to get more consumers into the space.
The Gear VR will be compatible with phones including the Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6 edge+, S6 and S6 edge, and is expected to be released this fall. It’s a lighter version of the Gear VR Innovator by about 22%, according to Samsung in a release. The company says it has also a more robust touchpad, along with a greater selection of gaming, video and other content.
“Samsung has been at the forefront of delivering mobile experiences and ‘Gear VR Innovator Edition’ launched last year was no exception,” said JK Shin, CEO of Samsung Electronics. “We see virtual reality as the next computing platform, and we are thrilled to partner with Oculus on Gear VR to set the standard for mobile VR and bring this revolutionary product to consumers.”
“Together with Samsung, we’ve redefined virtual reality and created the best mobile VR experience available today,” said Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe. “On Gear VR, people are playing immersive VR games with friends, sharing 360 video experiences, and teleporting around the world with photos and videos – and it’s only the beginning for what’s possible with mobile VR.”
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve