Bloomberg and the New York Times, citing unnamed officials, reported the news, which could exacerbate a political controversy the Democratic presidential candidate has tried to put to rest. The agency’s review whether classified information was mishandled in connection with the private email server Clinton used while she was Secretary of State is expected to continue for several months.
It remains unclear how many emails the FBI recovered and whether they will be made public.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve