The papacy has been through a lot in its multi-millennial history. Since St. Peter became the first pope shortly after the dawn of the common era, the leader of the Catholic Church has influenced major global events and clashed with kings and scientists alike, all while overseeing the workings of the church and leading a worldwide community of the faithful.
As Pope Francis makes his first visit to the United States, landing in Washington D.C. on Tuesday, here’s a timeline of the pope throughout the ages.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy