The papacy has been through a lot in its multi-millennial history. Since St. Peter became the first pope shortly after the dawn of the common era, the leader of the Catholic Church has influenced major global events and clashed with kings and scientists alike, all while overseeing the workings of the church and leading a worldwide community of the faithful.
As Pope Francis makes his first visit to the United States, landing in Washington D.C. on Tuesday, here’s a timeline of the pope throughout the ages.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction