A giant pumpkin at the Cedarburg Wine & Harvest Festival in Wisconsin weighed in at 2,145.5 pounds (a little more than a ton), setting a new North American record.
Factory worker Gene McMullen, who grew the pumpkin in Streator, Illinois, called the achievement “dumb luck” in an interview with FOX 6 Now. The giant one he entered last year weighed about 1,600 pounds.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List