An elderly man was filmed singing “You’ll Never Know” to comfort his 93-year-old wife as she lay in a hospice facility, and the footage is heartbreaking.
Howard, 92, and Laura Serena have been married for 73 years. They have nine children and 18 grandchildren, according to ABC News, and Laura is currently suffering from dementia.
“Howard (Grandpa) is singing to her their love song, the song that comforted her when he went away to fight in World War II,” she wrote on YouTube. “At family gatherings, it was not uncommon for the two of them to sing this song together, each taking a verse and serenading the other. In fact, after fifty years of marriage, they renewed their vows and performed this song as a duet for the entire family at the reception.”
Howard is seen stroking his wife’s face as she mouths the lyrics of the song to him.
The video has more than 3.7 million views on Facebook to date. Solari wrote that “the outpouring of love [has] lifted everyone’s spirits…including Grandma’s!”
When she was told that the video had gone viral, Laura said, “I told you Howard that I’d make you famous.”
- Inside the Death of a Rural Daycare
- Exclusive: Inside Ukraine’s Secret Effort to Train Pilots for U.S. Fighter Jets
- TIME’s First Interview in the Metaverse: How a Filmmaker Made a Movie and Fell in Love in VR
- How The Inflation Reduction Act Will Spur a New Climate Tech Ecosystem
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- Social Media Companies Like TikTok Hope to Fight Election Misinformation. Experts Say Their Plans Aren’t Enough
- How I Got My Students to Stop Staring at Screens
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma