Fifteen months after a six-vehicle collision left him in a coma and killed his friend and collaborator James McNair, Tracy Morgan made a surprise appearance at the 2015 Primetime Emmy Awards. As he took the stage to present the Emmy for Best Drama Series, Morgan received a standing ovation from his peers, many of them moved at the sight of the comedian, whose road to recovery has been arduous.
While Morgan’s initial remarks about his difficult year took a somber tone, it didn’t take long before he exhibited his trademark sense of humor. Reflecting on the accident—and the fatigued truck driver who caused it—he deadpanned, “When I finally regained consciousness, I was just ecstatic to learn that I wasn’t the one who messed up.” Morgan assured the audience that he was indeed back, quipping, “A whole lot of women are gonna get pregnant at the after party.”
After more than a year-long process of rehabilitation, Morgan will take a different stage on Oct. 17 when he returns to Saturday Night Live to host the show for a second time.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliza Berman at firstname.lastname@example.org