A 17-year-old high schooler in North Carolina took a plea deal to avoid being registered as a sex offender after authorities found nude pictures that the teenager had taken of himself.
Cormega Zyon Copening, the quarterback at a high school in Fayetteville, North Carolina, had shared the nude photos with his girlfriend Brianna Benson. Both were 16 when they exchanged photos.
Copening faced four charges for the images he had of himself and one count of possessing a nude photo of his girlfriend, according to the Guardian.
Now, Copening faces probation and has been banned from using a cell phone, according to WRAL television. The plea deal, in which Copening pled guilty to misdemeanor counts of disseminating harmful material to minors, allows him to avoid felony charges of sexual exploitation.
Benson agreed to a similar plea deal.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up