A 17-year-old high schooler in North Carolina took a plea deal to avoid being registered as a sex offender after authorities found nude pictures that the teenager had taken of himself.
Cormega Zyon Copening, the quarterback at a high school in Fayetteville, North Carolina, had shared the nude photos with his girlfriend Brianna Benson. Both were 16 when they exchanged photos.
Copening faced four charges for the images he had of himself and one count of possessing a nude photo of his girlfriend, according to the Guardian.
Now, Copening faces probation and has been banned from using a cell phone, according to WRAL television. The plea deal, in which Copening pled guilty to misdemeanor counts of disseminating harmful material to minors, allows him to avoid felony charges of sexual exploitation.
Benson agreed to a similar plea deal.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve