A Whataburger employee who refused to serve two police officers in Lewisville, Texas has been fired.
According to WFAA8, a Dallas ABC affiliate, Officers Michael Magovern and Cameron Beckham were in uniform when an employee claiming to be a manager said “We don’t serve police officers.”
The company released a full statement on the employee’s termination:
The former employee told WFAA8 that his refusal to serve the officers was a joke. The incident is reminiscent of a similar firing at a Florida Arby’s where a manager was terminated and a clerk suspended after an officer was allegedly denied service for being a cop. The clerk in that instance also claimed the refusal to serve the officer was a misunderstood joke.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve