A Whataburger employee who refused to serve two police officers in Lewisville, Texas has been fired.
According to WFAA8, a Dallas ABC affiliate, Officers Michael Magovern and Cameron Beckham were in uniform when an employee claiming to be a manager said “We don’t serve police officers.”
The company released a full statement on the employee’s termination:
The former employee told WFAA8 that his refusal to serve the officers was a joke. The incident is reminiscent of a similar firing at a Florida Arby’s where a manager was terminated and a clerk suspended after an officer was allegedly denied service for being a cop. The clerk in that instance also claimed the refusal to serve the officer was a misunderstood joke.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time