A Whataburger employee who refused to serve two police officers in Lewisville, Texas has been fired.
According to WFAA8, a Dallas ABC affiliate, Officers Michael Magovern and Cameron Beckham were in uniform when an employee claiming to be a manager said “We don’t serve police officers.”
The company released a full statement on the employee’s termination:
The former employee told WFAA8 that his refusal to serve the officers was a joke. The incident is reminiscent of a similar firing at a Florida Arby’s where a manager was terminated and a clerk suspended after an officer was allegedly denied service for being a cop. The clerk in that instance also claimed the refusal to serve the officer was a misunderstood joke.
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.