Donald Trump said Sunday in an interview with CBS that ballooning CEO pay is “a total and complete joke,” sounding a populist tone as he continues to stir up the Republican base in his run for president.
“It does bug me. It’s very hard if you have a free enterprise system to do anything about that,” the Republican presidential frontrunner told CBS’ Face the Nation Sunday when asked about CEO pay. “You know the boards of companies are supposed to do it but I know companies very well and the CEO puts in all his friends…and they get whatever they want you know because their friends love sitting on the board.”
Trump takes some unorthodox views that set him apart from traditional Republicans, railing against free trade deals and the notion of cutting Medicare and Social Security. He once supported a single-payer healthcare system.
The real estate mogul and billionaire has been leading the Republican field for nearly two months, inspiring restive voters with his hardline immigration stance—he has called for the deportation of all illegal immigrants—and perceived willingness to tell unvarnished truths.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement