When Stephen Colbert announced his first week’s lineup as host of the Late Show on CBS, one unfamiliar musical act invited speculation: just who was this mysterious Paul Simon tribute band called Troubled Waters? But when the band took the stage Friday night, the rumors were put to rest, as Troubled Waters, it turned out, was helmed by none other than Simon himself.
Simon pretended to be an impostor as Colbert recounted a story of the real-life Simon rejecting his request to whistle the solo to “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard.” Bristling at the injury, Colbert got Simon to admit that yes, “Paul Simon is a bit of a jerk.”
The pair went on to perform the song, with Colbert fulfilling his lifelong dream alongside the 12-time Grammy-winning artist. The verdict on Colbert’s solo? A little pitchy, but full of pizzazz.
Watch the video below:
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve