The refugee who was tripped by a camera operator while carrying his son across a field in Hungary has been identified as Osama Abdul Mohsen, a soccer coach who was forced to flee after his hometown was destroyed in the civil war.
“We lost our house in Syria after suffering a number of artillery shells by [President] Assad’s forces,” his oldest son, Almuhannad, told NBC News.
Almuhannad, 19, is currently in Turkey with his mother and 13-year-old sister – and he hasn’t seen his dad, or brother Zaid, 7, in 10 days.
But he has seen the footage of Petra Laszlo, who worked for …
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time