The Nintendo classic Super Mario Bros., widely considered one of the best video games ever made — and certainly one of the most important — celebrates its 30th anniversary on September 13.
But what’s so special about a decades-old game revolving around an Italian plumber trying to save a lost princess? It’s all about history. When Super Mario Bros. came out, the video game industry was a wreck. But Mario helped save it — and it wasn’t even in another castle.
To find out more about Super Mario Bros., watch the video above.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving