How do you bounce back after breaking up with Hollywood’s nicest guy? Date its second nicest.
Singer Josh Groban will guest-star as himself in an early episode of ABC’s new fall sitcom The Muppets, playing a famous new love interest for Miss Piggy whom she seeks in the wake of her nasty (and viral) breakup with Kermit. (Don’t feel bad for the frog — he’s already moved on.)
Groban’s more than familiar with Piggy’s bossy ways, having already collaborated with the Muppets twice before. On the big screen, Groban had a cameo in 2014’s Muppets Most Wanted; in the music world, the puppet gang lent a hand in the music video for his release of “Pure Imagination” with Lindsey Stirling earlier this year.
With Groban, The Muppets already includes a meaty list of celebrity guest stars, including Reese Witherspoon, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Hemsworth, and Imagine Dragons.
Meanwhile, what’s with the demand for Groban playing himself? The singer has previously played, well, the singer on Glee, Parks and Recreation, CSI: NY, and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. He told EW in spring, “We don’t have, in the U.S., the phrase ‘taking the piss’ out of yourself. I think that it’s important to be self-aware and be able to just let the air out.”
The Muppets premieres on ABC on Tuesday, September 22 at 8 pm.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This