A young American art teacher has been murdered on a trip to Nepal, CNN reports.
Dahlia Yehia, 25, had traveled to the Himalayan nation to assist those who had lost their homes in massive earthquakes that rocked the country in April and May and claimed more than 8,500 lives. She was last heard from while traveling to Pokhara, Nepal’s second largest city, in early August, CNN says.
Police say a man who was hosting Yehia in his home confessed to beating the girl to death and to dumping her body in a river. Voice of America reports that she met the suspect, local teacher Narayan Paudel, through the popular accommodation website CouchSurfing.com.
No motive is known. Authorities are still searching for the girl’s body.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org